Step By Step
So you're thinking about starting a business or - even better - actually STARTING a business. Use the chart below to navigate the steps you need to take and the resources that can help you along the way and then contact us if we can be of specific assistance.
Additional help can be found at the Small Business Administration's (SBA) website and through the State of Maryland's Department of Business and Economic Development's checklist for starting a business.
Start-Up Business Flowchart
- Verify you have any required licenses and permits (Note: Businesses - INCLUDING HOME BASED BUSINESSES - may also be subject to zoning restrictions at the County Level. Check with the Howard County Planning and Zoning Department to validate if this applies to your business).
- Make sure you have a good PLAN. Our Business Resource Center can help you with that.
- Explore options for locating your business in Howard County.
- Check out programs and services offered and funding options available to help you start and grow your business.
- Be successful and let us feature you as a success story!
Other Considerations and Resources:
Let's get your business started! This step-by-step guide will show you how.
Certain businesses and specific activities may require a license and/or permit. Find out if your business needs a special permit to operate.